Leaf Pumping is a technique which allows you to maintain height while gliding with the deku leaf by quickly and repeatedly pulling out and cancelling the deku leaf--making it possible to reach ledges that would otherwise be out of reach. It is important not to confuse leaf pumping with the "leaf attack", which is simply pressing the button the deku leaf is on to release a burst of air which can repel enemies such as peahats.
- Jump off of a ledge and pull out the deku leaf.
- While gliding, quickly press A to "cancel" the leaf and then immediately pull it out again. This step may be repeated as many times as desired (and as the capacity of your magic meter will allow) to reach the desired ledge.
- Once you are approaching the ledge you wish to grab, wait until you see the very front edge of the deku leaf "touch" the ledge (using the free-camera feature can help here), press A and hold the stick towards the ledge to grab it.
- It is important to switch between the button the leaf is equipped on and the A button very quickly otherwise you may lose height instead of maintaining it.
- Depending on where you are performing this trick, the speed and accuracy at which you must alternate may be either very demanding (as in the method of skipping the Earth Temple boss key), or quite forgiving (as in skipping the flower surfing in the Forbidden Woods).
- Although leaf pumping does allow for a maintenance of height, it does not increase you forward momentum.
- Leaf pumping drains your magic power much quicker than gliding normally, due to the fact that each time you pull out the leaf it uses a 1/4 of a unit of magic (the double magic meter contains 8 units of magic; Normal meter contains 4). However if you have a GBA-GCN connector cable you can purchase a blue or green Ting from Tingle to help refill you magic.
Last updated 01/30/2018