Discovered by ZFG and Ringrush
If you catch hot spring water in a bottle from Bottle Duplication, you can overwrite some of the memory addresses in the game. Unlike Ocarina of Time, the addresses that can be changed are mostly useless. Regardless, it still has some interesting effects. Some of the effects include jinxing yourself, gaining 256 rupees, getting stuck on one day, and pulling a rock sirloin out of thin air.
Simply duplicate a bottle over any item slot (Ocarina of Time through Fierce Deity Mask), then catch hot spring water in it. Instead of programming each slot's timer individually, the game does math depending on which slot the hot spring water is caught in. So thanks to bottle duplication, we can now write to memory addresses that are near the normal hot spring water timers. Here is an example of what happens when you catch hot spring water in a bottle that's in the Ocarina of Time slot.
The addresses highlighted in blue are what were written when the spring water was caught. It writes a total of 25 bytes, in 3 rows(24 bytes) and one lone 01 byte. Each slot moves the 3 rows by 8 bytes, while the lone 01 byte moves by one. The first row is always XX 00 00 00 XX XX XX XX, where the X's can be random or consistant depending on the slot used. The second and third row are always the same, 00 00 00 00 70 17 00 00. The 01 byte also remains the same. Because of the random first row, a lot of times you'll get very inconsistent results, especially using the hookshot slot.
For in-depth Bottle Adventure documentation, go here: Bottle Adventure Documentation
Brief Overview of Possible Effects
Here are some of the effects you can get from each slot.
- Fairy Bow: Corrupts the Bomber's Code, rendering it unusable.
- Title Deed Slot: Catch hot spring water in any normal bottle, and then with this slot, and the hot spring water in the normal bottle will never cool.
- Bombchus: Makes Bomber's Code unusable
- Deku Nuts: Disables C-Buttons until you load a new map, makes all instruments sound like deku trumpets, and false eggs appear in marine lab.
- Magic Beans: Extremely long jinx
- Trade Item Slot 12: Catch hot spring water in any normal bottle, and then with this slot, and the hot spring water in the normal bottle will never cool.
- Powder Keg: Rock Sirloin when you load a new map. Also corrupts the Oceanside Spider House code
- Pictobox: Random values in the bombers code, can cause crashes when loading a new map
- Lens of Truth: Short Jinx timer.
- Hookshot: Randomly disables pause, randomly disables c-buttons, randomly changes instruments to sound like deku trumpets, can cause you to get stuck on the same day, a 1 frame jinx timer, and false eggs appear in marine lab.
- Great Fairy Sword: Gain 256 rupees, random jinx timer(usually extremely long), and rock sirloin when you load a new map.
- Trade Item Slot 18: Catch hot spring water in any normal bottle, and then with this slot, and the hot spring water in the normal bottle will never cool.
- All of the mask slots write to the normal hot spring water timers and the pictobox image. The pictobox image is 11,000 bytes long so the few lines that you can write to have little effect on the image.
- Mask of Scents: Disables B and C buttons.
- Mask of Truth: Disables B and C buttons.
- Giant's Mask: Makes the HUD disappear except for the B and A buttons.
- Stone Mask: Screws up the magic bar.
- Don Gero Mask: Screws up the magic bar.
- Couple's Mask: Screws up the magic bar, Heals you for 8 hearts.
- Captain's Hat: Recovers magic, Heals you for 8 hearts.
- Bunny Hood: Recovers magic, Makes it Midnight.
- Kafei's Mask: Recovers magic, Makes it Midnight.
- Garo Mask: Recovers magic, Makes it Midnight.
- Romani's Mask: Softlocks the game.
- Kamaro's Mask: Softlocks the game.
Last updated 11/05/2018